I love seeing people create their signature systems; extracting the tangled spaghetti mess of decades…
Where to Start When Creating Your Signature System
Don’t know where to start when it comes to creating your signature system?
Unsure of what to include or exclude? Maybe you just want to get started on sorting out the spaghetti mess in your head. In this article, I’ll be sharing with you a roadmap to begin the process of extracting your valuable intellectual property, distilling it into a signature system with visual models.
What’s a signature system?
A signature system takes the years of experience, knowledge and skills out of your head and distils it into a simple and clear suite of visual models that you can use as the foundation for most of your business. Ready? Let’s dive in!
No quicksand allowed – Create a solid foundation first.
Before you create your signature system, you want to make sure your foundations are solid.
So, ask yourself the following questions:
- What is your zone of genius?
- Do you know who your ideal client is?
- Have you done a ‘why stack’ for them, i.e. interviewed them to find out their problems, fears, wants and hopes?
- Identified the outcome they want and the solution you provide?
- Done a branding review to make sure you’re happy with your current brand?
Pro-tip: If you’re not happy with your current branding and you’re not a design professional yourself, I highly recommend hiring a branding professional to do your rebrand for you.
Create, test, tweak.
The next step in the process is to create your models, test them and tweak them.
Ideally, you want four models to form the core of your signature system:
- Excite model (shows your client the typical journey of someone in their position striving to get to the outcome).
- Success model (the key ingredients it takes to achieve the outcome).
- Educate model (what the client needs to do to get there, emphasis on do).
- Yes model (the benefits of working with you/your program).
Narrowing it down to just four models will help you to figure out what to include and exclude. Once you’ve created these four key models, now it’s time to test them!
Get out into the real world and test your models with people, at speaking gigs and to potential clients, etc. This process will help you identify any weaknesses in your models and show you what needs to be cut, added, shifted or changed. Then, you can tweak your models until they are perfecto!
Don’t be a Pinterest fail.
There are entire listicles dedicated to DIY disasters. Don’t add your signature system to that list. Get a professional to help with things that aren’tin your zone of genius.
- A branding expert to review your brand.
- Someone to help you extract the right information and turn it into visual models.
- A graphic designer to create the models for you.
- A brains trust to bounce ideas off.
Don’t waste hours of your precious income-making potential trying to learn a new program or trying to figure stuff out on your own. Work out who your support network is and tap into that.
There you have it; there’s my roadmap for getting started creating your signature system. If you were unsure about where to begin, I hope this helped.
If so, let’s chat in the comments below.
“The opinions expressed by Smallville Contributors are their own, not those of www.smallville.com.au"
SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH LIKE MINDED SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE