Lessons Learned From a Leading Sporting Club – Part 2
In Part 1 of this article, I looked at The Journey video series which showed how the Carlton Football Club was resetting their Club. In this installment (Part 2) we see how far the Club has progressed.
Pre-season is over and the Carlton Football Club started the 2016 AFL Season not with a win but certainly a spring in their step. As a lover of football who can see past her own team to acknowledge the success and good play of other teams, I know I would have been very excited if I was a Carlton supporter.
You could see the difference in the players – they had a spring in their step and positivity they hadn’t had for years. Did they make mistakes? Of course but we know success is a marathon, not a sprint. And yet success they have had – more than any commentator would have thought because as I write this article, Carlton have had 6 wins – a stat no one would have predicted based on what we saw from their performances in 2015.
So here now is Part 2 of this amazing story which looks at how well the pre-season and new foundations translate on the field on game day.
The Journey Part 2 – Inside the Reset of a Football Club
Key messages/phrases from Brendan Bolton
- Look after him
- When it’s game day, you’ve got to get the job done
- Keep your bubbly personality at training, then switch on at game day
- Give yourself a clear head
- Show the world that’s who we are – that we stand for something
- Where will the group say – this is where you are a leader?
- Effort for longer
Translation for business owners
- Are you looking after you and your team?
- Are you rewarding attitude and effort?
- Are you bringing some fun into your business?
- Does the world know who you are and what you stand for? Do you?
- Are you clear in the direction you wish to take your business?
- Are you digging in to get the work and priorities done?
- Where will your team, your clients, your industry say you were a leader in…?
- How resilient are you? How quickly do you bounce back from your business setbacks?
So have you watched Part 1 yet? Will you watch the Part 2 video? If the answer is No, really ask yourself. “Why is that?’ Because if you think you have all the answers and can’t learn something about leadership, teamwork, strategy and business from an elite football coach; then I suggest you and your business will further stagnate or even maybe decline.
If that’s not what you want, then review how your business journey is really travelling? What do you need to reset in yourself, in your business and in your team to build a simple profitable business you actually love.
“The opinions expressed by Smallville Contributors are their own, not those of www.smallville.com.au"
SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH LIKE MINDED SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE