Dust, Dreams and Masking Tape – What Would MacGyver Do?
In the hustle of life as an entrepreneur, it’s easy to lose sight of our dreams – either because we’re too busy to look, or we can’t remember where we put them.
What once hung in pride of place, has now slipped behind the photocopier or been buried alive under client files. The burning ambition that drove you from your day job, the plans and ideas that filled a drawer full of notepads, or those carefully selected lines you had laminated and framed. In whatever form they take, we all need to refer to our dreams now and then. Why?
- They remind us of how far we’ve come from our humble beginnings and basic ingredients from which we built something so amazing, even MacGyver would be impressed.
- They motivate us – Not just to keep moving, but to move in the right direction. There’s nothing like checking-in with the original plan to remind us why we do, what we do and encourage us to keep doing it.
- They need tweaking – The best thing about dreams (that we often forget) is that they are made of a substance that is more like silly putty than concrete. They have substance, but they remain pliable. If your original plan isn’t working, don’t be afraid to make changes.
- WE need tweaking – Reviewing our goals can sometimes highlight just how far we’ve shifted from our original intentions. Have we become too busy? Do we have too many products? Are we chasing the wrong clients? A little time to reflect can help us make the decisions needed to bring things into line. Michael Hanrahan wrote an article recently where he suggests using your original goals for going into business to keep your workflow in check, and it’s well worth the read. READ HERE.
- They confirm our existence – OK, perhaps that’s a little dramatic, but we’ve all had days when we wonder what on earth we’re doing, and referring to our dreams and goals as a checklist can have a wonderfully affirming effect.
- They keep us young – The best dreams are an intoxicating blend of the realistic and the fanciful. They remind us that with hard work we can create the life we want and inspire us with the belief that anything is possible.
Sometimes we don’t know we need rescuing until we hear the sirens, so take time regularly to revisit that point in time when it all began – when you were MacGyver – creating something out of nothing. Because the very thing that enabled you to do that were your dreams – alive and fresh – waking you every morning and whispering you off to sleep each night. They contain the magic parts you need to solve almost any business problem.
So, don’t wait until you’re plummeting from a great height and madly shuffle paperclips and string in the hope that it will become a parachute. Go to the ingredients you started with and track from there.
Hunt around behind the filing cabinet or under your desk, dust off your dreams and tape them to the drawing board. Consider them a work in progress, tweak, revisit, revise – but never let them out of your sight.
“The opinions expressed by Smallville Contributors are their own, not those of www.smallville.com.au"
SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH LIKE MINDED SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE