With each passing day, customers are expecting more and more from the companies that they…
Ditch Secret Santa, There’s Nothing Under $20 I Want
These were the words scrawled upon a Brisbane billboard which promoted local ‘tweets’.
I have to admit my first reaction was, “I’m appalled and how ungrateful.”
Yet the more I thought about it, the more I realised, to my sadness, that this is, unfortunately, the world we live in. A world dominated by people who must have the most expensive things, and are more focused on ‘what’s in it for me (WIIFM)’ rather than ‘what can I do for someone else?
Christmas for me has always been a time of family and providing for those who need a helping hand so with this in mind, might I suggest an alternative to gift giving this Christmas including any work/family Secret Santa gifts.
In my book, The Five Little Business Pigs, I write about being a M.A.D. Business Pig or the Make A Difference Business Pig which is really about how you and your team are bringing a bit of M.A.D.ness to others.
So rather than giving a materialistic gift to someone which they may only use a few times (and probably don’t really need), here are 11 M.A.D. gift ideas which will truly ‘make a difference’:
- $20 = Provide three meals a day to a person in need for up to two weeks.
- Dementia is the second leading cause of death of Australians, contributing to 5.4% of all deaths in males and 10.6% of all deaths in females each year.
- $20 = present/non-perishable food under the Christmas tree.
- $20 = food package and present.
- $20 = up to 4 gifts to put under the tree
- $20 = chickens (from $10), seeds (from $10), water for a family (from $15).
- $52/month funds education support for a primary school child, so join some Secret Santa gifts together.
- $20 provides a special book to help explain Mum’s illness to kids.
- $20 to fund research
- $20 donation will help McGrath Breast Care Nurses provide free support to patients and their families experiencing breast cancer.
- $70 provides the practical and emotional support of a McGrath Breast Care Nurse for a patient and their family.
- $25 = help provide care for all creatures, great and small. This could include providing an unwanted dog with a bath, treats and an enrichment toy this Christmas.
As you can see, $20 goes a long way to helping those in need.
So, which one of these charities or one close to your heart will become your M.A.D. Secret Santa gift this year?
“The opinions expressed by Smallville Contributors are their own, not those of www.smallville.com.au"
SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH LIKE MINDED SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE