Create Freedom by Creating Your Intellectual Property Assets
Want more freedom in your business?
One great way to build more freedom in your business is to create leverage. What do I mean by ‘leverage’? It means to get more with less. For example, more money in less time or more clients with less effort, etc. I’ve been passionate about building leverage in my own business since I had kids, but I was doing it for my clients long before that! When I became a parent, I wanted to make sure I was spending my time wisely in my business so that I had more time to spend with my family and more time for ‘R & R’.
So, in this article, I’m going to share with you one of the strategies I’ve used to create leverage. Thanks to this strategy, I only work school hours during school terms. And, I still have the freedom for self-care during my ‘work hours’ – whether that’s heading to the gym, getting a massage or catching up with friends. Let’s dive in!
How do we create ‘leverage’?
There are many ways to create leverage. One way is to build assets, in particular, visual models to represent your signature system. We so often get caught up in the busy work of doing in our business that we forget to stop and build our businesses. If you want to escape the busy work and create leverage and freedom, you’ll need to invest time in creating assets in your business.
Here are some signs that you need to build your signature system with visual models:
- Every time you go to create content, you don’t know what to talk or write about.
- When talking to potential clients, you can’t seem to communicate clearly and succinctly what it is that you do.
- You feel like you have to sell yourself when talking to potential clients.
- Because you know ‘so much’, you have a hard time deciding which thing to focus on.
- You can’t rely on team members to communicate clearly what you do or provide a high-quality service to your clients, because they don’t know what you know and all the clients just want you, ‘all the time’.
- Every workshop, presentation, course or product feels like you’re building it from scratch and feels like a huge undertaking.
- You’re struggling to transition from one-to-one products and services to one-to-many.
These are all signs that your business doesn’t have a stable foundation; a signature system to rest on.
How does a signature system with visual models help with all these issues?
When you extract the complicated spaghetti mess from your head and turn it into a signature system, a number of wonderful and exciting things happen:
You can be more efficient.
More efficient at things like content creation, workshop preparation, product creation and more! With your visual models in hand and your signature system, it’s all about simply reframing your content to suit your audience! And, if this isn’t your jam, find a content creation expert or manager to help you.
You can move effectively from 1 to 1 products and services to 1 to many.
With your signature system distilled into visual models, you now have a proven methodology that works time and time again with your clients; instead of tailoring everything to a specific client each time.
You can grow your team.
Having a system distilled into visual models means you can more quickly and efficiently onboard new team members and teach them the basics of your content.
What do you include in your signature system?
I recommend 4 visual models as the foundation of your signature system:
1. Success model– Shows your ideal client the key ingredients to achieve the desired outcome.
2. Educate model– Shows your ideal client how to get from where they are now to where they want to go.
3. Excite model– The typical journey of someone in your ideal client’s position
4. Yes model– The benefits (not features) of working with you and doing it using your system.
There you have it! My cool way to build more freedom in your business. Does it take a little bit of extra work? Yes. But it’s one of the greatest investments you can make in your business. Once you have your signature system, everything is based on it. Everything. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
If you haven’t created your suite of visual models that simplifies what you do into a signature system, what’s stopping you? I’d love to know. Let’s chat in the comments below.
“The opinions expressed by Smallville Contributors are their own, not those of www.smallville.com.au"
SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH LIKE MINDED SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE