Is Your Mind and Body Sending Out an SOS
Talking with business owners in general and online the subject of feeling ‘overwhelm’ is a common one.
The reasons for feeling overwhelmed are as unique as we are individual. While in most cases this emotion is linked to what we can see and touch. It begins within ourselves, our dreams, what goals we set, how we interact with family and yes, even remaining in touch with who we are as a person.
IT’S AN SOS, A SIGNAL FOR CHANGE.
What I have learnt after being in business for twenty years, is that your subconscious alerts via a feeling of being overwhelmed; in short, it’s your body’s SOS.
Let me explain this with an analogy:
You have an empty glass jar that you want to fill to the top. Using pebbles, you fill the glass jar to the top as full as you can, until no more will fit. Next, you gently shake the jar as you sift handfuls of sand into the jar to fill the gaps. Finally, you take a jar of water and gently pour the water into the jar until it soaks into the sand, filling all the remaining spaces left behind. Yes, you state, my glass jar is now full.
However, another person brings a small bottle of red dye and drips it into the jar until it changes colour. There was still enough room for the dye.
As business owners we can be that jar, overfilling our lives with layer after layer of commitment.
TAKE TIME TO REFLECT, PLAN AND PRIORITISE.
Now that your body and mind are signalling that change is needed, where do you start? I learnt a tip from Maria Forleo years ago on how clearing your mind of distraction and writing down everything on a piece of paper for clarity can help.
Here is my personal twist that works for me:
- Turn off the computer, mute the phone, find a quiet space to focus.
- Grab three pieces of paper, some highlighters and a pen.
- Take 10 minutes to write on your first piece of paper everything on your mind, and I mean everything. You will be surprised what floats in from your subconscious.
- Take your pen and cross out every item you have absolutely no control over.
- Then grab your second piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. Write on the left, business issues/concerns and on the right, family or personal items.
- Look at your list and cross out anything that is really not a priority.
- Now take your last sheet of paper and write down your priority of items that need dealing with in the first month, then the next three months, then lastly the next six to twelve months.
- Burn the first page, yep, burn it! Trust me; you will feel an enormous mental weight disappear.
Now that you have what you need to achieve over the coming weeks, months and year, hold yourself accountable and set out steps and deadline dates to achieve these. This activity will only work if you actually do it.
INSIGHTS INTO YOUR FEELING OF OVERWHELM.
The above activity might end up surprising you about what items have been swimming around in your head. You should feel better, not as overwhelmed as you were before. The secret to any feeling of overwhelm is to compel you into action. By prioritising in order of importance, setting out goals with deadlines, these ‘concerns’ are no longer swimming around in your subconscious, they have been given a voice and will be addressed.
As business owners we overload our already busy lives, expect miracles and want perfection.
You need to be reminded of the more important things in life; your family, your children, your friendships and spending time pursuing a hobby you are passionate about. Life was meant to be lived not to work yourself into the ground or an early grave.
Prioritise the more important things in life, and you will avoid the mind and body sending out it’s SOS called the emotion of ‘overwhelm’.
If you found this activity helped you, please connect with me through social media or send me a message; I would love to hear from you and support you in any way I can.
“The opinions expressed by Smallville Contributors are their own, not those of www.smallville.com.au"
SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH LIKE MINDED SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE