SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH LIKE MINDED SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE

7 Myths Surrounding Small Business Marketing

mm

7 Myths Surrounding Small Business Marketing

A number of people still have a fear of marketing, because they feel they need to be a great salesperson, a smooth talker, or have the gift of the gab, but this couldn’t be further from the truth.

Marketing is nothing more than the transfer of information from one person to another person. So, if you hate the word marketing, replace it with exchanging information, because that’s all it really is.

Below are seven common myths that I believe are holding business owners back from using marketing effectively:

Myth 1: If I Do Marketing I’ll Be Promoting My Competitors

Yes you will; when you market your business everyone in your industry will benefit, so get over it and move on.

However, if your competitors do happen to get a small piece of the pie, say 10%, do you really care if you’re getting the other 90%? If you’re the one putting in the effort, you will be the one that benefits more.

Myth 2: Marketing Is Just Advertising Isn’t It?

No it isn’t. Advertising is just one small part of your overall marketing strategy; advertising is what people see, whereas marketing is what people do not see.

If you place an advertisement in a newspaper or an online equivalent, this is just the tip of the iceberg, it’s the part your prospects and customers see, however the message, layout, positioning, fonts, target audience, demographics, and the timing (days of the week) is all marketing. Can you see the difference?

Myth 3: Marketing Is Unprofessional

All marketing can be unprofessional, especially if it’s done in poor taste, but how can it be unprofessional to tell a ‘person in need’ that you can provide a solution to their problem, or put an end to their pain and suffering?

If you work extended hours, making it easier for people to utilise your services, how can this be unprofessional? It’s not the exchange of information that’s unprofessional; it’s how it’s delivered.

Myth 4: Marketing Is Expensive

All marketing, regardless of the type, is expensive if you do not get a return on your investment. I’ve always invested a percentage of my gross turnover back into marketing and I think this is a strategy many business owners should adopt, especially early on in their business career.

However not all marketing activities cost money, sometimes you just need to stay alert and invest some time. Speaking at Rotary will cost you nothing.

Myth 5: Marketing Attracts Too Many Tyre Kickers

This is not true, but if your marketing message is too broad and not specific enough, it may attract a lot of enquiries and no direct sales, and this may tie up your time.

Therefore your marketing message should be simple and always directed at your target market. If you do this you will attract the sort of customers you want, and far less tyre kickers.

Myth 6: Marketing Takes Up A Lot Of Time

Marketing does not take a lot of time, but it does take some time, and every business owner should be prepared to spend a few hours each week evaluating their past, present and future marketing activities.

If marketing is not your thing, that’s fine. Ask your team to get involved or outsource this activity. It doesn’t matter who does it, it just needs to be done, it needs to be done right and it needs to be done on a regular basis.

Myth 7: I’ll Need To Pay Big Dollars For A Marketing Coach

Once again this is not true. If you’re not good at marketing, then yes you may need a marketing coach or a marketing company to help you, but before you do this, make use of all their free online offerings.

Visit their websites and read their blogs, register for their newsletter, listen to their podcasts and watch their videos. When you’ve done all this, your engagement with them will be so much more cost effective.

If marketing still confuses or scares you, that’s fine, just don’t hide from it, instead embrace it and learn all you can to make it a big part of your business life.

Views All Time
Views All Time
676
Views Today
Views Today
1

“The opinions expressed by Smallville Contributors are their own, not those of www.smallville.com.au"



SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH LIKE MINDED SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE
Recommended Posts
Showing 3 comments
  • Dean Hawkins
    Reply

    Love the Marketing tips mate, well done… informative and useful… Deano The Fire Guy

    • Tyson
      Reply

      Thanks Deano. I love writing about marketing, and I’m glad you liked it.
      Sorry for the late reply though…very rude of me.

  • dean hawkins
    Reply

    Ah not a bother… i enjoyed the read.

Leave a Comment