Donald Trump in the White House? Here’s How to Inspire a Huge Following without the World Calling You Crazy
I don’t know about you but I’m finding it very hard to take the USA seriously at the moment. How does one of the world’s biggest superpowers go from being the big boss of the globe, to the ‘can-you-be-serious’ and ‘what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you’ kind of place that everyone is so shocked about?
I can’t count the amount of times I’ve recently heard people talk about how little is standing between Donald Trump and ‘the nukes’. Scary stuff. How can America possibly hold on to their position as world leaders after this latest political battle, and the unfortunate outcome of one of the nastiest campaigns in American history?
I haven’t met a person yet who has shown even the most remote support or enthusiasm for Donald Trump, and most people I know are watching on with their heads half turned away, one eye squinted in that way where you can’t watch but you also can’t look away. Here is a man who clearly does not represent the image of a global leader but who has convincingly won the Presidency of the United States of America. The people went to the polls and he took out the election. It’s simply astonishing.
So how does this relate to your business? It demonstrates that some truly startling scenarios can unfold when people are drawn into a vision. Alarming in the case of Donald Trump, but also potentially exciting if carried out in an ethical and honourable way.
I’m not suggesting that you go out and start telling people you’re going to build a huge wall, but it seems pretty clear that throughout the course of history, certain dictators have managed to generate massive followings by painting a believable picture to their audiences. So what are they actually doing to generate this incredible ‘pied-piper’ kind of scenario and how can you adapt it to grow your business (in a nice way)?
- Be very clear about what the problems of your ideal customer are. Donald Trump has effectively articulated the exact concerns of a very large number of Americans and shown them that he understands their issues. This is so important as it really gets to the epicenter of your customers’ worries and builds trust quickly.
- Find a solution to those problems and demonstrate to your clients how you will go about fixing them. You need to be able to not only understand your ideal customer’s problems, but also be able to communicate them in a way that proves you are a capable problem solver.
- Paint a clear picture of what the world will look like when you have rolled out your vision. This is the ‘why’. If you can’t see the final outcome in your mind, you won’t be able to conjure it up within your followers or potential customers’ minds. There are so many stories of entrepreneurs and business leaders out there securing huge slices of funding by simply bringing people along on a journey where they can imagine a better/different outcome. Each one of us runs a different business so no two visions will look the same but you can be sure there is a way, whatever your line of work or industry.
- Determine when you can deliver your vision and share it. People want to see change and they want to see it happen quickly. If you can show people that you know how to create lasting change and you can also bring it about rapidly, you will be able to gain significant momentum. The opposite is also true where you will lose momentum and the faith people have in you, if you take too long to implement a promise. So be honest about this one and definitely don’t overpromise and under-deliver.
- Gain support from relevant influencers who share your vision, in order to rapidly increase your following and external interest in what you do. Every business has the potential to create partnerships in one way or another. Effective partnerships where there is a clear and remarkable solution to a problem will always be great for boosting awareness of what you do and potentially having an impact on your bottom line. This is the who – and I don’t mean the band.
As far as the USA goes, all we can do in Australia is sit back and watch it unfold, mouths gaping wide open as Trump continues his bizarre and unsettling journey of politics, with his ‘adult entertainment’ model wife by his side (good grief). But the way you handle your life and business is a reflection of who you are as a person. Try applying some of the big tactics used by world leaders to your business, but always remember your honesty and integrity as you go and I think you will be surprised at what is possible.
“The opinions expressed by Smallville Contributors are their own, not those of www.smallville.com.au"
SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH LIKE MINDED SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE